History of Framingham, MA

How Framingham Got Its Civil War Memorial Monument

It is taped that after the Civil War, when the people of Framingham wanted to set up a memorial to their soldiers, they located they could get the present monument for thirty-five hundred bucks. Of this amount, 5 hundred dollars came conveniently; after that contributions lagged. A delegation contacted George Phipps in the old B. & A. depot– he was bound for St. Louis. They clarified their placement, mentioned the demand of funds, and also highlighted the charm of the memorial. George Phipps paid attention patiently and then reached for his pocketbook, where he suspended and handed to the audio speaker 3 thousand bucks, stating “Below’s your cash, now buy your ‘stupid’ graven photo!” Which’s exactly how Framingham obtained its Civil Battle Memorial.

Framingham in the Civil War

The Edgell Memorial Collection is an enduring symbol of phenomenal volunteer spirit that runs through Framingham’s abundant background. That area spirit was on full display screen when Framingham was the very first town in Massachusetts to develop a volunteer program to fight in the “War of the Rebellion.” As Tom Ellis, a Civil War chronicler wrote, “Framingham has a record of contributions toward maintaining the Union that is 2nd to nothing else town in the Commonwealth. Framingham functioned as a lion throughout the Civil War, giving far more than was called for of her.” It sent out 12% of its populace at the time– 530 guys and also endured 52 deaths.

34 Star Civil War Flag

Among the highlights of an excursion with the Edgell Memorial Library is watching the 34-star Civil War flag lugged by the 13th Routine Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. This silk flag (c. 1861) was a present to the Regiment from the firm of Hogg, Brown & Taylor of Boston, with the initiatives of George B. Brown of Framingham. It was lugged into battle at Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, as well as somewhere else. Twenty-eight guys from Framingham were participants of the 13th Regiment. Completely 530 guys from Framingham were gotten in the Union Army.

At the end of the battle, the 13th Routine returned the flag to Mr. Brown who then passed it on the Town of Framingham at the commitment event of the Edgell Memorial Collection in 1873. Participants of the Framingham Historical Society found the scruffy flag in a cupboard in the Collection in 1999 as well as increased the funds to restore it for the town’s tercentennial in 2000.